Monday, May 01, 2006

fall back plan...

So it is looking more and more likely that I won't have a job come graduation, but I have a fall back plan. I'm not quite sure how it will work out exactly...funding and such, but it just might work!

The other night at a rainy "bonfire", my friend Blair and I were discussing what seems to be the problem with us...we are good people, great personality, intelligent...but somehow are still not noticed by the opposite sex for whatever reason. We are sure there are other women out there who feel the same way and therefore, we have decided that if our career plans fall through we will begin "Project Sabrina". The company name came from the famed Audrey Hepburn and Humphrey Bogart movie, where the main character "
Sabrina" who is smitten with a man (played by William Holden) who "doesn't even know I exist" -- until she goes away to Paris for two years, and returns an elegant, sophisticated, beautiful woman.

Okay, so the company would arrange for this hiatus of two years to a foreign country for women who should be noticed, but are not...make sense? Probably not and even as I'm writing this I am seeing several issues with the whole thing. In the movie, Bogart's character always treats Sabrina with respect even before she goes to Paris and so at least "notices" her...but it isn't until he sees that she is smited by his younger brother (Holden) that he realizes that there might be something else there...


Okay, so maybe I should just plan on a career elsewhere...we'll see. But come on "Project Sabrina"...the title at least is genius! hmmm.


~mitzi

2 comments:

Jarrod said...

Mitzi, i once calculated the odds of me ever finding someone and it wasn't pretty.

Here is the excerpt:

---

She must be smarter than me. Lets make this a no brainer, any girl of mine needs to be smart, I can’t feel like we are going two different directions, intellectually. So lets say, ten percent of America is smart enough. One of ten is smart enough.
We have to be able to have great conversations. Many of even my very close “girl friends” will agree, it is very easy to be Jarrod’ed out. My future wife must be able to sit down and talk with me for hours about literature, politics, philosophy, and life. Lets say another five percent of America can talk with me. One of twenty can talk with me.
This is where it gets complicated. They have to like me. And this isn’t being modest when I say, it’s a rare occasion when one of those comes along, lets say one out of a 250 girls.
And then I must pull the trigger. Here is my Valentines Day confession; I’m a coward. I really am it takes a lot for me to ask out a girl. I’ll normally work it up for hours, days, or even weeks before I get around to it. I would say I ask someone out maybe twenty percent of the time I feel there might be a connection. One of five, I ask out.
Astute readers of this column will acknowledge this fact; I’m not that funny. Really. But every so often a girl will come around that thinks I’m hysterical and her, I. I need to marry one of those girls. One of a 100 finds me funny. One of one hundred thinks I’m funny.
Lets do the math on this one: 10 times 20 times 250 times 5 times 100 equals 25,000,000. What does that mean? One of 25 million is my perfect girl. There are about 140 million women in America. That means about five and a half girls exist in America that hit my qualities.

---

Not very good, but I still somehow found a pretty great girl.

Jarrod said...

What I mean by this is, i'm 100 percent sure that someone will drop by.

Jarrod